Note: This book convinced me to write again.
1. “We’re supposed to meet new people.”
“I don’t need new people.”
“That just shows how much you need new people.”
2. You can’t take back texts. If you come off all moody and melancholy in a text, it just sits there in your phone, reminding you of what a drag you are.
3. You don’t do magic. You are magic.
(Note: This sounds like Salvador Dali’s “I don’t do drugs. I am drugs.”)
4. That moment when you realize that a guy’s looking at you differently–that you’re taking up more space in his field of vision. That moment when you know he can’t see past you anymore.
5. Cath, zero. Crazy, one million.
6. I’m sorry you ruined it by being so pathetic. -Reagan
7. I love love stories. -Cath
8. …her real self was buried under eight layers of fear and diagnosable anxiety.
9. “You look like you need fresh DNA”
“I look like this because I’m alive.”
10. “You’re not the ugly one. You are just the Clark Kent.
Will you warn me when you take off your glasses?” – Levi
11. And she smiled at everyone who crossed her path, as if it were the most generous thing she could offer. -Gemma T. Leslie, Simon Snow
12. “It sounds like he’s into your brain. I don’t have your brain.” -Wren
13. It felt good to be writing. To get lost…and stay lost. To not hear any voices in her head. Not even her own.
14. And sometimes you held somebody’s hand just to prove that you were still alive, and that another human being was there to testify to that fact. -Magicath
15. So this is what you look like when you are keeping a giant secret from me– exactly the same as usual.
16. I have a right to get upset about upsetting things. -Cath
17. This is college– what we do here is real. -Professor Piper
18. Just enough angry, just enough indignant, just enough the-world-will-never-know-how-ridiculously-awesome-I-am. Just enough poet.
19. She was so used to keeping it a secret–used to assuming people would think she was a freak and a nerd and a pervert…
20. “making my brain dig its own grave.” -Dad Art
21. It was never about the money with him–it was about the work. It was about coming up with the perfect idea, the most elegant solution.
22. “Bros before hos.” -Reagan
23. Cath didn’t want to look at a guy and picture the people he’d slept with…
24. He already likes you. I think he’s into the nerdy schoolgirl thing. He talks about you like you’re something he found in a natural history museum.
25. Trying not to let her face show how much she wanted to kiss and kill him.
26. Try not worrying–it’s an amazing thing to be. Like flying.
27. “But I implore you… start now. Lock yourself away from the world. Turn off the Internet, barricade the door. Write as if your life depended on it.
Write as if your future depended on it.” -Professor Piper
28. But if you’re going to waste your time, I’m not going to waste mine.
29. Smart, talented, handsome. World War I handsome.
30. “I need a brain that can break away, you know? I need to think. If I can’t think, who am I?” -Dad Art
31. That’s the ultimate kind of broken. The kind of damage you never recover from.
32. “But it didn’t break me. Nothing can break me unless I let it.” -Wren
33. She was tired of being the one who cried.
34. Just… isn’t giving up allowed sometimes? Isn’t it okay to say, “This really hurts, so I’m going to stop trying.”
35. “But there is nothing more profound than creating something out of nothing. That what makes a god– or a mother. There’s nothing more intoxicating than than creating something from nothing. Creating something from yourself.” -Professor Piper
36. “I can do whatever I want with my students’ grades. I’m the god of this small thing.” -Professor Piper
37. If she made Levi nervous, he made her catatonic.
38. “What do we have in common?”
“We like each other,” he said. “What more is there?”
39. But you’re so helpless sometimes. It’s like watching a kitten with its head trapped in a Kleenex box.
40. “What’s the plan?”
“My plan is to do the things that will make you want to hangout again with me tomorrow.”
41. “Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow,” he said.
He meant it.
42. To really be a nerd, she’d decided, you had to prefer fictional worlds to the read one.
43. She wanted to.
God, she wanted to tackle him and roll around in him like a cat in a field of daisies.
Which is exactly why she didn’t. Because she was Little Red Riding Hood. She was a virgin and an idiot.
44. We write about the worlds we already know.
45. Everything starts with a little truth, then I spin ny webs around it– sometimes I spin completely away from it. But the point is, I don’t start with nothing.
46. “I’m dating a genius,” he’d said, “and a scholar.”
47. Now is all you get.
Now is all you ever get.
48. She was the worst kind of out of control– the kind that thinks it’s just fine, thanks.
49. She was scared that she wasn’t ready to be that person yet. The person who doesn’t stop.
50. Ready or not, here I come.
Here I come, ready or not.